FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Diana Bates
Congratulations to New Republican National Committeewoman Kathleen Berden
BOYNE FALLS, Mich., May 9, 2015 – The Michigan Republican State Committee today elected Kathleen Berden as Republican National Committeewoman, one of the state’s representatives to the Republican National Committee. In response, Chairman Ronna Romney McDaniel issued the following statement:
"Congratulations to Kathleen Berden on her election as our new Republican National Committeewoman. She will be an outstanding representative for Michigan Republicans. Having held this position in the past, I know Kathleen’s communication skills, work ethic and dedication to conservative principles will be an asset to our Michigan Republican team.
Newly elected Republican National Committeewoman Kathleen Berden issued the following statement:
“I am honored to be elected the Republican National Committeewoman from Michigan. I look forward to meeting with activists across the state and working with candidates and volunteers to build our party and turn Michigan red in 2016.”
- Ms. Berden filled the vacancy caused by Ronna Romney McDaniel’s election as Michigan Republican Party Chair this February.
- Hundreds of activists gathered at Boyne Mountain Resort May 8-9 to begin plans to win elections in the upcoming election cycle. Republican activists gathered from across the state to hear from some our nation’s top campaign strategists about the upcoming election cycles. State Committee members laid the groundwork for upcoming elections and looked forward to hearing from several presidential primary contenders.
- Last week, Michigan had three Presidential candidates—Dr. Ben Carson, U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, and Gov. Scott Walker—visit Republican voters in the state. Next week, Carly Fiorina will also visit Michigan.
Remember this commercial?
Well, here are the teachers who appeared in it:
|Alexandra Dey||Thurston Elementary|
|Gillian Williams||Lincoln Consolidated|
|Jason Patton||Plymouth Educational Center|
|Janice Stewart||Thurston Elementary|
|Chandra Madafieri||Novi High School|
|Robert Gaines||Cloverdale Development Training Center|
|Syndeara Jackson||Neinas Elementary|
The commercial, of course, accused Governor Snyder of cutting $1 Billion from K-12 educational funding when he had, in fact increased K-12 funding by about $1 Billion.
Here is a link to one of the many independent observers who documented the untruthfulness of these allegations: CapitolConfidentialArticle. Additionally, the Detroit Free Press made the following observation: "To summarize, Schauer's claim that Snyder cut $1 billion from education is false and Snyder's answer that he has increased state K-12 funding by just over $1 billion since he took office in 2011 is true.”
What, if anything, should the public do about this? Broadly speaking, there are two possible explanations for the teachers’ behavior. Either
- They knew that the ad was false, but decided to go ahead with performing in it anyway, or
- They were not capable of understanding the facts of the case or did not take the time to diligently investigate the matter
It doesn’t really matter which of these is true, though, because in either case we need to ask
Are these the kinds of people we want educating our children?
And that is the subject of this poll. Please choose one of the options listed below and click the "Vote" button. And, especially if you choose the first option, please feel free to fill in the Comments/Suggestions box before voting.